Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Ph.D., physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1995
B.S., physics, University of California, Berkeley, 1986
Christine A. Orme is a physicist within the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. She studied physics at the University of Michigan, receiving her Ph.D. in 1995 in the area of surface dynamics of films. In 1996 she joined Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory where she has served as a project leader, group leader and institute director. Orme’s lab explores molecular processes at interfaces and uses in situ tools to address how these modify the way that materials assemble and disassemble. She is particularly interested in biomineralization, hierarchical assembly of nanomaterials, corrosion, and - underlying all of these - the fundamental physics of growth and dissolution. She currently studies growth dynamics at electrified interfaces with applications in batteries, catalysis, and exchange spring magnets. She is the recipient of a Presidential Early Career Award in Science and Engineering (2002) for her work in biomineralization and was made a Fellow of the American Physical Society. She is an active member of the scientific community and has served on the Board of Directors of the Materials Research Society and the executive committee of the American Association for Crystal Growth.
(62 peer-reviewed papers with over 2300 citations)
- Qiu, S.R. & Orme, C.A. (2008) Dynamics of Biomineral Formation at the Near-Molecular Scale, Chemical Reviews, Focus issue on Biomineralization (Invited) 108(11): 4784-4822.
- Orme, C. A., Noy, A., Wierzbicki, A., McBride, M. T., Grantham, M., Teng, H. H., Dove, P. M. & DeYoreo, J. J. Formation of chiral morphologies through selective binding of amino acids to calcite surface steps. Nature 411, 775-779 (2001).
- Teng, H. H., Dove, P. M., Orme, C. A. & De Yoreo, J. J. Thermodynamics of calcite growth: Baseline for understanding biomineral formation. Science 282, 724-727 (1998).
- Olson, T. Orme, C., Han, T. et al, Shape control synthesis of fluorapatite structures based on supersaturation: prismatic nanowires, ellipsoids, star and aggregate formation, CrystEngChem, 20, pp 6384-6389, (2012)
- Jennifer L. Giocondi, Bassem S. El-Dasher, George H. Nancollas, and Christine A. Orme, Molecular mechanism of crystallization impacting calcium phosphate cements, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 2010 368, 1937-1961 (Invited Review)
Metal-Metal Oxide Interfaces and Corrosion
- J.J. Gray & C.A. Orme, Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Study of the Passive Films of Alloy 22 in Low pH Nitrate and Chloride Environments, Electrochimica Acta 52, 2370-2375 (2007).
- Gray, J.J., El Dasher, B.S., Orme, C.A., Competitive effects of metal dissolution and passivation modulated by surface structure: An AFM and EBSD study of the corrosion of alloy 22, Surface Science 600, 2488-2494, (2006).
- Bearinger, J. P., Orme, C. A. & Gilbert, J. L. Effect of hydrogen peroxide on titanium surfaces: In situ imaging and step-polarization impedance spectroscopy of commercially pure titanium and titanium, 6-aluminum, 4-vanadium. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 67A, 702-712 (2003).
- J.R. Hayes, J. J. Gray, A. Szmodis, and C. A. Orme, Influence of Chromium and Molybdenum on the Corrosion of Nickel Based Alloy Systems, Corrosion, 62, 491-500 (2006).
Other Areas – assembly and spectroscopy
- C. A. Orme , B. Sadigh, M. Surh, J. Vandersall, P. Bedrossian, W. D. Wilson, T. W. Barbee Jr. and P. T. Beernink, Inducing order using nanolaminate templates. J. Materials Research 26, pp 194-204 (2011). Special issue on self-assembly.
- T. Monson, C. Hollars, C. Orme, and T. Huser; Improving Nanoparticle Dispersion and Charge Transfer in Cadmium Telluride Tetrapod and Conjugated Polymer Blends, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces pp 1077-1082 (2011)
- Han, T. Y. J., P. F. Pagoria, Gash, A.E., Maiti, A., Orme, C.A., Mitchell, A.R. and Fried, L.E. (2009). "The solubility and recrystallization of 1,3,5-triamino-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene in a 3-ethyl-1-methylimidazolium acetate-DMSO co-solvent system." New Journal of Chemistry 33(1): 50-56. (Cover Article)
- Huser, T., C. A. Orme, Hollars, C.H., Corzett, M. H., and Balhorn, R. (2009). "Raman spectroscopy of DNA packaging in individual human sperm cells distinguishes normal from abnormal cells." Journal of Biophotonics 2(5): 322-332.
- Woo, L. Y., R. S. Glass, Gorte, R., Orme, C.A., Nelson, A., (2009). "Dynamic Changes in LSM Nanoparticles on YSZ: A Model System for Non-Stationary SOFC Cathode Behavior." Journal of the Electrochemical Society 156(5): B602-B608.